Hello and welcome to #ColourMyEveryDay, the Instagram challenge to help you discover and celebrate colour every day.
But what is it?
It's an Instagram challenge to help you discover and celebrate colour every day, from outside your home to on your desk, in your kitchen cupboard, in your neighbourhood, at the back of your wardrobe and beyond. It's also a way to share your photos with fellow colour lovers and feel part of a positive Instagram community.
Where did the idea come from?
In early spring 2017 I was looking for an Instagram challenge, which purely focused on exploring the topic of Colour. I looked everywhere but could I find anything? Nope, nothing!
A seed of an idea then began to form in my head. Why don't I create my own challenge! It wouldn't matter if I were the only one to take part, but at least I could do the challenge I'd dreamed of.
Fast forward a few weeks and not only had I created a month long list of daily prompts, a graphic advertising it, but Instagram users started getting excited about it too, like really excited about it and I suddenly realised, people were wanting the challenge as much as I was.
The #ColourMyEveryDay Instagram Challenge ran throughout June 2017 and it was the most amazing experience. Instagram users from across the world joined in, sharing their photos, finding new accounts to follow, expanding their photography skills and colour horizons, inspiring each other along the way, and helping to build a friendly, happy, colourful community. The hashtag reached over 13k and was a hugely colourful and positive feed.
I was truly shocked at the reaction it received, especially having never run an Instagram challenge before. In fact, I became so inspired by everyone taking part and being such a wonderful community of encouraging, happy people, that I decided to challenge myself further and create my first ever colour related enamel pin. The pin is a celebration of all those wonderful people who contacted me to say how #ColourMyEveryDay really helped them try something new, hone their photography skills and see colour in places they wouldn't normally have looked. Who would have thought that my hunt for a colour themed Instagram challenge would have lead me on such a wonderful journey!
Will it be running again?
It sure will!
In fact, it has now run four times, with the latest challenge from the 29th April to 5th May attracting the biggest number of people to date.It has even been featured on the Mollie Makes Blog and is now one of the top 15 hashtags to live your life in full colour.
The next challenge starts on Sunday 19th August and there's a huge buzz about it over on Instagram!
How to get involved
When the next challenge begins, simply take a photo of something related to the first prompt and share it on Instagram, adding the #ColourMyEveryDay hashtag to your picture. To be a part of the friendly, community vibe, head to the #ColourMyEveryDay hashtag feed to like and comment on other people's photos and really share the love.
At the end of each day, I will share four photos from the feed that have caught my eye for that day's prompt. Make sure you're following me so that you can see if you've been featured!
I'm unsure what to photograph?
If you're not sure what to photograph for a particular prompt, you could go with the first thing that springs to mind. So, if 'outdoors' makes you think of a field of flowers or a stunning view, take a photo of that. You could even ask your friends and family what the prompts mean to them to give you more ideas.
You could also think outside the box. Perhaps look at those inanimate objects on a shelf and the bold colours of food tins, or the beautiful buildings in your local town, graffiti on a wall, brightly coloured food, even a vibrant green basil plant contrasted against the tiles in your kitchen or a photo looking down at your colourful shoes! Really, anything goes, so just have fun with the prompts.
Here are some further ideas to spark the imagination:
1. Favourite: surely this is an excuse to dress up in your favourite outfit for the day or maybe treat yourself to something new to wear. Alternatively, you could take a photo of your favourite colourful place or a piece of art, album cover or building.
2. Outdoors: with summer still here, there is so much colour outside from lush greens to bunches of flowers and bright veg at the market. Also, if you live anywhere near some colourful buildings or know of an old bright red phone box still lurking around, I bet your fellow colour lovers would enjoy seeing that.
3. Combination: you could share the gorgeous colour combinations on a vintage biscuit tin, some funky looking wallpaper or even the contrasting colour of a windowpane against a red brick house. Anything goes.
4. Object: you could choose absolutely anything for this from a lovely print on your living room wall to a a colourful kitchen utensil, some handmade pottery or some random object you spotted on your travels.
5. Pattern: let yourself have fun with this prompt. The pattern could be found on anything from fabric to a wall, table cloth, something you've made or sketched.
6. Handmade: you could share your latest Indie Biz purchase, something you've made, a quote about what handmade means to you, or a favourite designer/maker.
7. Recommend a colour lover: Share that someone you know who is a complete and utter colour addict. You could say why they inspire you or how their love of colour makes you feel. Really share the love with this prompt.
Are there any other hashtags I can use?
There certainly are and you can add as many extra hashtags as you like. I tend to choose around ten hashtags that suit the photo. If the hashtag doesn't go with the photo, then people are less likely to click on it and therefore not discover you and your amazing photos!
Here are some ideas for extra hashtags you could add to your Instagram posts for the daily prompts.
#colourseekers #colourhunters #colourpopme #abmcolourfullife #acolourstory #mycolourfullife #colorcolourlover #ihavethisthingwithcolour #colourmyworld #colourfulflatlays #colorcolourseekers #favouritecolourpink #boldcolours #fromwhereistand #colourfulpatterns #colourcombination #colourmehappy #contrastcolours #complimentarycolours #colourcrush #ilovecolour
If you have any other questions about the challenge, then do drop me a line and I'll try my very best to help. Happy #ColourMyEveryDay!