Hello and welcome to #ColourMyEveryDay, the Instagram challenge to help you discover and celebrate colour every day.
But what actually is it?
It's an Instagram challenge to help you discover and celebrate colour every day, from outside your home to on your desk, in your kitchen cupboard, in your neighbourhood, at the back of your wardrobe and beyond. It's also a way to share your photos with fellow colour lovers and feel part of a positive Instagram community. Sounding good so far?
oh but, Where did the idea come from?
In early spring 2017 I was looking for an Instagram challenge, which purely focused on exploring the topic of Colour. I looked everywhere but could I find anything? Nope, nothing!
It was right at that moment (maybe not exactly at that moment but close enough) a seed of an idea formed in my head. Ping, went the lightbulb! Why don't I create my own challenge! It wouldn't matter if I were the only one to take part, but at least I could do the challenge I'd dreamed of.
Fast forward a few weeks and not only had I created a month long list of daily prompts, a graphic advertising it, but Instagram users started getting excited about it too, like really excited and I suddenly realised, people were wanting the challenge as much as I was. Hurrah! Definitely did some kind of dance around the living room that day.
The #ColourMyEveryDay Instagram Challenge ran throughout June 2017 and it was the most amazing experience. Instagram users from across the world joined in, sharing their photos, finding new colour lovers to follow, expanding their photography skills and colour horizons, inspiring each other along the way, and helping to build a friendly, happy, colourful community. The hashtag reached over 13k and was a hugely colourful and positive feed.
I was truly shocked at this reaction, especially having never run an Instagram challenge or anything like it before. In fact, I became so inspired by the number of people taking part and the wonderful community of encouraging, happy people, that I decided to challenge myself further and create my first ever colour related enamel pin. The pin is a celebration of all those wonderful people who contacted me to say how #ColourMyEveryDay really helped them try something new, hone their photography skills and see colour in places they wouldn't normally have looked. Who would have thought that my hunt for a colour themed Instagram challenge would have lead me on such a wonderful journey!
Will it be running again?
It sure will!
In fact, it has now run five times, with the latest week long challenge running from the 19th to 25th Auust attracting the biggest number of people to date.It has even been featured on the Mollie Makes Blog and is now one of the top 15 hashtags to live your life in full colour.
The next challenge starts on Sunday 27th January and there's already huge buzz about it over on Instagram!
How to get involved
When the next challenge begins, simply take a photo of something related to the first prompt and share it on Instagram, adding the #ColourMyEveryDay hashtag to your picture. To be a part of the friendly, community vibe, head to the #ColourMyEveryDay hashtag feed to like and comment on other people's photos and really share the love.
At the end of each day, I will share four photos from the feed that have caught my eye for that day's prompt. Make sure you're following me so that you can see if you've been featured!
I'm unsure what to photograph?
If you're not sure what to photograph for a particular prompt, you could go with the first thing that springs to mind. So, if 'outdoors' makes you think of a field of flowers or a stunning view, take a photo of that. You could even ask your friends and family what the prompts mean to them to give you more ideas.
You could also think outside the box. Perhaps look at those inanimate objects on a shelf and the bold colours of food tins, or the beautiful buildings in your local town, graffiti on a wall, brightly coloured food, even a vibrant green basil plant contrasted against the tiles in your kitchen or a photo looking down at your colourful shoes! Really, anything goes, so just have fun with the prompts.
Here are some further ideas to spark the imagination:
1. Recommend a colour lover: Share that someone you know who is a complete and utter colour addict. You could say why they inspire you or how their love of colour makes you feel. Really share the love with this prompt.
2. Object: you could choose absolutely anything for this from a lovely print on your living room wall to a a colourful kitchen utensil, some handmade pottery or some random object you spotted out and about.
3. Place: this is a wonderful way to celebrate where you live or a place you’ve travelled to. You could share a favourite building, maybe something that your neighbourhood is known for or you could reminisce with a holiday snap.
4. Contrast: you could share the gorgeous colour combinations on a vintage biscuit tin, some funky looking wallpaper or even the contrasting colour of a windowpane against a red brick house. Let your imagination go wild!
5. Food: there are so many vibrants colours in the food world, it’s not wonder we get inspired to cook (and eat). You could choose some bright veg, a market stall full of fruit or a rainbow inspired meal.
6. From where I stand: ooh, now this is a fun one as there’s so much potential! For starters, you could be indoors or outdoors, home or work, day off or on holiday, or simply walking by somewhere inspiring on your lunch break. It’s really whatever you can see that you just have to share; enjoy this prompt!
7. Favourite: surely this is an excuse to dress up in your favourite outfit for the day or maybe treat yourself to something new . Alternatively, you could take a photo of your favourite colourful place, piece of art, album cover, building, shoes, person…the list is endless!
Are there any other hashtags I can use?
There certainly are and you can add as many extra hashtags as you like. I tend to choose around ten hashtags that suit the photo. Quick tip: if the hashtag doesn't go with the photo, then people are less likely to click on it and therefore not discover you and your amazing photos!
Here are some ideas for extra hashtags you could add to your Instagram posts for the daily prompts.
#colourseekers #colourhunters #colourpopme #abmcolourfullife #acolourstory #mycolourfullife #colorcolourlover #ihavethisthingwithcolour #colourmyworld #colourfulflatlays #colorcolourseekers #favouritecolourpink #fromwhereistand #colourfulplace #colourcombination #colourmehappy #contrastcolours #complimentarycolours #colourcrush #ilovecolour #colourfulfood
If you have any other questions about the challenge, then do drop me a line and I'll try my very best to help. Happy #ColourMyEveryDay!