Make your own gift wrap Christmas ribbon!
- 7 x 2 metres of embroidery thread and/or ribbon in any colours of your choice (this makes 1 meter of ribbon)
- Some Christmas tunes to sing along to (optional)
- Cut out an octagon (8 sided shape).
- Cut 1cm slits into each side of the octagon and a hole in the middle.
- Place your 7 threads/ribbons together and tie a knot at one end. Slip this through the hole in the middle of your octagon.
- On the opposite side to the knot, slot each thread through the 1cm slits. The eighth slit does not have a ribbon in it. This is called the working slit.
- Take the third ribbon from the working slit (this is the red ribbon pictured below) and pull it over the ribbons (these are the pink and orange ribbons in the picture below) clockwise and slot it into the working slit.
- Like so...
- You now have a new working slit.
- Take the third ribbon from the working slit (this is now the blue ribbon as pictured below) and pull it over the ribbons clockwise (these are the yellow and green ribbons in the picture below) and slot it into the new working slit.
- Like so...
- Repeat this pattern and your ribbon will start to grow out of the reverse side of your octagon, like so...
- And grow, and grow....
- ...until you approach the end of your threads/ribbons. When you do reach the end of your threads/ribbons, remove them from the slits, place them together and tie a knot. Cut the loose ends down, so that they're neat, tidy and the same size as each other. You now have homemade ribbon, perfect for wrapping up Christmas presents with!
I chose rainbow coloured embroidery threads but you could choose any range of colours or use different types of thread and ribbon; maybe some glittery thread to add a touch of sparkle! You can also make your ribbon as long or as short as you wish and ooh, maybe one made out of wool. In fact I might give that a go!