Starting an online shop, part 8 continued: Feedback and Thick Skin
As promised, here is the last post in the Starting an Online Shop series, which continues on from yesterday's post. Today, I'm focusing on customer service in relation to negative feedback.
When dealing with negative feedback always remember that the customer comes first. Even if you disagree with their comments, always put yourself in their shoes and offer them the best customer service possible.
There are a few top tips I've learnt along the way:
- Don't leave you customer waiting. Reply to them ASAP! If you're unsure what to say, take a break for a couple of hours, then draft a reply before hitting send.
- Your reply should ask your customer what they would like e.g. a full refund, a replacement etc.
- Always be professional, courteous and polite.
- Make the return/refund/replacement process as easy and as quick as possible for your customer.
- Offer something that will encourage your customer to shop with you again. For example, a special discount off their next purchase or a complimentary product.
Through being approachable, understanding, efficient and professional, most customers will be happy with such a first class service. I say most because there are always some who won't be happy no matter what you do. For those particular customers, as long as you've given them excellent customer service throughout, then you simply have to not worry about them. You can't make everyone happy but you can certainly make most happy.
On a final note, with all this talk about negative feedback, don't forget to focus on and be proud of all the positive feedback you receive. You deserve it!
On that note, that's it for this series. Thanks to everyone who has followed along and also joined in, providing excellent, extra tips! I really hope this series has been just a tiny bit helpful to those of you thinking of starting an online shop. I've really enjoyed writing it and I've certainly learnt alot myself. Best of luck to all of you who have decided to go for it and start an online shop! I can certainly say it's the most awesome ride, so enjoy it and don't forget to stop and breath every now and then as it sure can be a rollercoaster!